My Photo
Name:
Location: Queensland, Australia

Thursday, August 17, 2006

my sister's keeper

"my sister's keeper" by jodi picoult

i wasn't going to read it, and if i did, i certainly wasn't going to like it.

it was for a new bookclub (some of the homeschool mums are going to do a thing after the kids' literacy group once a month).
this was the book decided on for the first one.
when my reserved copy came in at the library i took one look at the cover and went EEEEK!

when my dh read the blurb on the cover he just looked at me and said 'no way are you reading that!'.
now he's not the bombastic sort, just that he didn't think it conducive to my mental health and the stability of the family (or the likelihood of him getting any meals prepared for him) if i read a book which was asks

if you use one of your children to save the life of another, are you being a good mother ... or a very bad one?

he knows i've never quite recovered from 'sophie's choice'.

still, i didn't want to decide against it without even dipping in, so i did.

i hate it when i like popular things. i feel so normal. (just kidding).

i really enjoyed this book.
it's got quite a light touch, regardless of the soul numbing horror it's dealing with.

the different voices were all distinct and believable, and i was moved by the unexpected insights each of them had.

i was so ready to hate sara (the mother) and yet, her viewpoint made me sympathetic despite myself.

jesse (the delinquent brother) is my favourite character.

cheers all,
jo

4 Comments:

Blogger Sumara said...

Oh my goodness. I just looked up the book. I would want to hate it too, and hate the parents.

How does the younger sister cope? Life would just be totally utterly warped and weird. Especially after the book was written - imagine the whole world knowing that you only exist in order to help save your sibling. !!! Talk about major identity crisis.

7:54 am  
Blogger jkr2 said...

i don't think it's based on real people. i think it's fiction, just written in a very realistic way.

obviously lots of research or real life experience there, though as it's quite detailed in some parts.

it was a book i actually had to keep picking up to read 'just a bit more'. so that's cool.

you can read it after you're finished with potter ok, sumara?

7:47 am  
Blogger Sumara said...

Oh, phew. That makes me feel better.

Anyway, my list of books to read is already about a mile long so this one'll keep.

Got your email Jo, thank you. :) I'll reply later when Noel's not around to stickybeak... :)

8:27 am  
Blogger jkr2 said...

i only got around to this one because i said i'd be in the bookclub!

hugs, sumara.

1:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home